The first construction of the castle seems to be due to Chiaramonte, accounts Modica in the XIV century. In the fifteenth century it became the residence of Bernardo Cabrera at large giustiziere the Kingdom of Sicily. Later, the building was purchased by Francesco Maria De Spucches Arezzo, of Donnafugata baron who made a campaign casina. Most of the construction, however, it must be his son, the baron Conrad Arezzo, a man of eclectic and political studies. Through several generations, came to Clementina Paterṇ Castle, widow of Viscount Gaetano Combes de Lestrade. Finally, after years of neglect and abandonment, was purchased in 1982 from the town of Ragusa, long after restoration work made him again fruibile.Il castle, divided over three floors, has more than 120 rooms of which twenty are now available to visitors. Visiting rooms that still contain the furniture and furnishings of the original, seems to make a leap in the past, during the recent "gattopardi". Each room was furnished with taste different and had a different function. Not to forget the music room with beautiful painted trompe-l'oeil), the great hall of badges with blazons of all the noble families of Sicily and two ancient armor, the hall of mirrors (decorated with stucco), the art gallery with paintings neoclassical school of Luca Giordano. Remarkable, then, the c.d. The bishop apartment with splendid furniture Boulle, reserved exclusively top prelate (a family member Arezzo in the eighteenth century).
Around the castle is a large and monumental park of 8 hectares. Contava over 1500 species of plants and various "distractions" that had to cheer and entertain guests, as the circular temple and Coffee House (to rest) or the labyrinth of stone and some "caves" artificial equipped with fake stalactites (below temple ).
Dove dormire ....