Important, especially for \ 'economy of the region, was the tuna Vendicari where they were canned fish, mainly tuna and mackerel, fished off.
The tuna, also called Bafutu, namely ancient Cape Bojuto, was built in the eighteenth century as a result of the great increase in Sicily which had been in the granting of tuna as early as the seventeenth century.
Subject to lean periods and even total closure because of its poor product (a measure of capitaneria port of Catania, 12 February 1884) was influenced by a lot of other nearby tuna (Marzamemi and Pozzallo) more efficient and better favored environmental factors
The period of maximum expansion was achieved at the beginning of the last century, when there was a strong increase in the catch. In those years proliferarono, tuna, establishments for storage of canned tuna and tuna Vendicari relied 40 employees, including two Rais (the first of Avola and his deputy Pachino).
It was in that context of the rebirth of the managing activities of tuna that in 1914 the nobleman avolese Antonin Modica Munaf˛ St. John, former owner of saline, was the granting of tuna Vendicari which was restored with new equipment over the remains of the eighteenth century. < br />
It was a tuna return of the sense of those who, along the eastern and southern coast of Sicily, captured tuna after that, the past season of love, went to the open sea.
L \ 'building on the ground of tuna, which came to a large iron gate, included, as well as a courtyard, separate from the tower Swabian through a perimeter wall, the establishment for the processing of tuna, the warehouse, the homes of tonnaroti.
The Rais lived with his family in \ 'island Vendicari, in wooden shacks in the vicinity of the managing owners of the house, which had a masonry house would like to work during the tuna.
Annually took seven hundred, eight hundred tuna with the procedure used in typical Sicilian tuna and final phase of the massacre. In 1943 the cause determined that immediate closure of tuna Vendicari was
Its activities \ 'cease in 1943 following the tragic events of the Anglo-American landing in the area during the last World War.
The first installations of salt, built to support tuna for the conservation of fish, go back to the fifteenth century and, to everyone \ 'today, it still remains on Pantano Grande.
Today, those who were dilapidated ruins of the plant with its hundred meters in length, the pillars that supported the roof and the chimney top dominating silence of the place, and the ase fishermen are restored and consolidated by an intervention the Superintendency of Syracuse.
Dove dormire ....